Re: Adaptec USB2Xchange

From: Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser_at_remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:31:18 +0100 (CET)
Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> > I have reason to use a USB to SCSI adapter under FBSD.  I have a
> > USB2Xchange from Adaptec, but (as usual for adaptec) it requires a firmware
> > load, which appears harder in usb than in PCI.  Does anyone know how to do

> There is a USB firmware standard called DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) which
> quite a nunmber of devices use (eg Atmel WiFi, Ti USB Audio, etc).
[...]

> Unfortunatly it's hard to say if your device does DFU at all.. I would suggest
> pulling it apart and trying to find data sheets on the chips in it.

For anyone who doesn't thrill to the sound of plastic yielding a
satisfying *SNAP*, I happen to have one of these (1989100) thanks
to a friend, who also gave me a different device that works without
a need for firmware load or anything -- though I have no SCSI
devices to test, in case anyone is interested in things that Just
Probably Work As-Is:
umass0 at uhub3 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: Microtech International, Inc. USB-SCSI-HD50, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 6
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
probe(umass0:0:0:0): generic HBA error
That's under NetBSD; FreeBSD looked comparable.  It also required
being snapped apart, because at first it didn't work at all, and I
discovered two things:  The power USB wire had come detached, and
secondly, a SMD inductor was missing, so I have no idea how it ever
passed quality control, nor do I want to know.

Anyway, I'll not post a `usbgen' or `usbctl' from this device, as
there's not much to see that's not already known, unless there's a
call for it.

Inside my device seems to be a Cypress Semiconductor chip, something
like  CY7xx8013-56PVC   where the `xx' is hard to make out
      CYP 608578
The mystery `xx' could be `C6'; or the first character could be `0' or
perhaps `6'; the second character could be a `6' or `8' or maybe a
`C' or `0' -- hard to tell as there's a thick blue marker line atop
the chip, and my eyes aren't so good.

The Cypress site disagrees with my excuse for a browser, and in order
to obtain these numbers, I had to bend back a thin soldered metal
plate, which, in addition to the above-mentioned snaps, could be
off-putting for someone who cares about warranties.  Perhaps this
would be helpful for someone else.

I did notice this mailing list post for Linux, if not yet known:
 http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb-devel_at_lists.sourceforge.net/msg22138.html
but I haven't looked into it.

barry bouwsma