Re: Benchmark: NetBSD 2.0 beats FreeBSD 5.3

From: Wilhelm B. Kloke <wb_at_arb-phys.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:32:21 +0000 (UTC)
Nguyen Tam Chinh <chinhngt_at_sectorb.msk.ru> schrieb:
> Please don't treat this seriously. Benchmarks are just benchmarks. But

The OP said so himself. But benchmarks are a lot more informative than
hype or rumour. I would really like to know comparison of *real*
users of both NetBSD and FreeBSD systems, but I don't expect that one
could find them. Nobody uses 2 different systems for the same task
for a long time.
So it lastly boils down to the question whether mission-critical
applications are missing on one or the other system.

> the benchmarks and comparison, widespreaded through sites like slashdot
> or osnews, sometimes affect the interest and view point of some new and
> potential users.
> May be we should do some full benchmarks as an answer and to review the
> true status of our 5.x, 4.x and others?

This is a good idea. Please add my wish to extend this the other
FreeBSD platforms. For me, amd64 is more interesting than ia32.
One special benchmark, which should test sufficient stuff from file
system and system call efficiency, is a complete rebuild of native gcc,
with make -j3. Does anybody know a place where to find this figure?
--
Dipl.-Math. Wilhelm Bernhard Kloke
Institut fuer Arbeitsphysiologie an der Universitaet Dortmund