Re: beating mergemaster to /etc/rc.d

From: Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:50:34 +1100
On Wed, 2005-Jan-12 09:33:00 +0100, Anton Berezin wrote:
>A colleague of mine came up with an idea which I did not see before:
>
>Optionally, if CVS revisions are different, and CVS repository is
>available, fetch the file with the same revision as the installed one
>from CVS, and compare it with the installed one.  If they are identical,
>mergemaster can safely assume that the file was not modified by hand and
>can therefore overwrite it without doing a diff loop hoop-la.

I think this has been suggested before but you are the first person to
actually code it.  Thank you.

Note that there are still risks in blindly applying CVS changes.  There
have been a couple of cases where defaults have changed meaning that
corresponding changes to local system configuration is required to
retain previous behaviour.

--
Peter Jeremy