Re: no /dev/ums0 when module loaded

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 00:17:11 -0700 (MST)
In message: <41EB637D.5010702_at_elischer.org>
            Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org> writes:
: Daniel O'Connor wrote:
: > On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:07, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: >
: >>: I preload all the USB modules I plan to use (a bit annoying I admit). I
: >>: believe there is ongoing work in this area though.
: >>
: >>There is indeed ongoing work in this area.  Unless you need ugen,
: >>don't load it is the best answer for now.  I have some work that I'm
: >>migrating to the tree, but this will take a while to get into the
: >>tree...
: >
: >
: > Does not having ugen make this stuff work?
: > Hmm actually let me try.. No doesn't seem to :(
: >
: > ie..
: > unplug mouse
: > kldunload ums
: > kldunload ugen
: > plug in mouse
: > kldload ums
: > nothing :)
: >
:
: no, because the USB system doesn't have an interface to allow a new driver to
: taste all the unattached devices..  in the case of ugen, it would have to
: allow new drivers to get tentative information from ugen about its devices
: and a method for requesting ugen to give up a device.

Yes.  That method is called detach :-)  Probe is supposed to be
non-destructive, so I'm working on a way to cope with that too (eg,
for the perverse ones that aren't idempotent).

Warner