Re: Laptop won't boot -CURRENT after 8/04

From: Kris Maglione <bsdaemon_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:02:41 -0500
Gavin Atkinson wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 16:01 -0500, Kris Maglione wrote:
>

>>I am in the process of narrowing down the exact date that it stops
>>booting, but my laptop won't boot any stable past an early BETA of 5.3
>>and it won't boot with -CURRENT from sometime in late 8/04. The latest
>>date I tried was 1/14/05, I believe. The boot stops after detecting acd0
>>(cdrw/dvd-rom). In verbose mode, it stops at:
>>GEOM: Configure ad0s1 start ... length ... end ...
>>GEOM: Configure ad0s2[a-f] start ... length ... end ...
>>
>>The laptop doesn't have a serial port, and I've been testing with a
>>FreesBIE CD, since the laptop has a slow HD, so I can't post the entire
>>dmesg, though I can type out anything important.
>>

>Hanging here often relates to floppy drive or floppy disk related
>issues.  Late August corresponds to the GEOMification of the floppy
>device.
>
>Try setting debug.fdc.debugflags=255 from the loader, then posting the
>bits of the dmesg relating to the floppy drive.  If it looks like it is
>getting stuck in the floppy probe, try applying the patch at
>http://www.devrandom.co.uk/freebsd/fdc_debug.c to an up-to-date current
>tree and replying with the output.

I read about the possible relation to a floppy, so I compiled without
fdc support (my laptop doesn't have one anyway), though I still had the
problem. I found one problem, there's another, though. I have one
configuration file that will boot and one that won't. I haven't found
what causes it yet, although the file that will boot is far less than
optimal.

>>Can someone post an easy way to find all CVS changes between two dates?
>>That would be extremely helpful in narrowing the source of the problem.
>>

>It's quite easy if you have a local CVS repository. (It should also be
>possible against the FreeBSD anoncvs server).
>
>Something like the following:
>
>cd /var/tmp
>cvs co src/sys
>cvs -q diff -u -D 2003-10-20 -D 2003-11-20 src/sys
>
>Will check out the current source then compare all files within src/sys
>between October 20th and November 20th.

Thanks, I figured that out already, although I used rdiff. I do have a
local copy of the repository.