Re: IPFW problems

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:34:02 +0000 (GMT)
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 freebsd_at_newmillennium.net.au wrote:

> I have recently (the last week or so, but possible longer as I had
> updated the system prior to going on a 3 week holiday) been having some
> problems with IPFW under -CURRENT.
>
> I am running:
> bash-2.05b$ uname -a
> FreeBSD picard.newmillennium.net.au 6.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT #38:
> Sun Jan 16 18:27:30 EST 2005
> root_at_picard.newmillennium.net.au:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PICARD  i386
>
> What happens is that I occasionally (every 5 minutes or so) get the
> following: Jan 19 16:54:41 picard kernel: ipfw: ouch!, skip past end of
> rules, denying packet

This error message seems to occur when the end of the rule chain is
reached without hitting a packet.  The one scenario I can think of where
this might happen is if the rule set somehow skips past the end of the
chain.  Could you confirm two things:

- That your ipfw rule set contains no skiptos that push past the last
  rule?

- That your user space ipfw(8) binary is in sync with your kernel?

If there's no obvious source of a potential issue of that sort, it may be
we're looking at an ipfw bug.  The error message should be cleaned
up/clarified even if you're seeing the results of a bug, since it's
a bit unclear on what actually happened.

Robert N M Watson