[Fwd: Re: strange ucom (uplcom) error]

From: Michal Mertl <mime_at_traveller.cz>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:26:46 +0100
Emanuel Strobl wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 18. Januar 2005 16:17 schrieb Andrew L. Neporada:
> > On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 01:06:43PM +0100, Emanuel Strobl wrote:
> > > Dear experts,
> > >
> > > I have two USB-RS232 Adaptors, both with PL2303 chipset. One is working
> > > the other one not (I hate to say it but both are working under win).
> > >
> > > The not working (more expensive) one gets recognized as ucom0 and I have
> > > ucom0, also I can receive signal but not transmit.
> >
> > [skip]
> >
> > Take a look at http://gate.intercaf.ru/~lesha/6100/ and try patch
> > http://gate.intercaf.ru/~lesha/6100/pl2303x.patch
> >
> > It can break old (working) PL2303 chip, but it works for me with newer
>
> Thanks a lot, this indeed fixes the revision 3.0 adaptor but unfortunately
> also breakes the 2.02 version :(
>
> Perhaps there's a goog guy out there who can refurbish the uplcom driver with
> this information (akiyama?)?
>
> Thanks a lot,

I've just recently been looking into this too. I used the mentioned
patch and also linux driver source and have come with the attached
patch. It contains one more change but I don't know if it's correct. It
works for both chips on CURRENT for serial console. It detects if the
chip is rev 3.00 and aplies the patch only for it.

The author of the patch mentions it isn't binary safe - sometimes the
chip stops working. I planned to test it with binary transfers (ppp)
today, check if it's working and submit it (with some cleanup) for
inclusion in FreeBSD.

Michal Mertl