Re: Cannot install kernel as user

From: Ryan Sommers <ryans_at_gamersimpact.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:59:35 -0700 (MST)
Jeremie Le Hen said:
> Hi,
>
> my laptop is a very slow beast but this is the only computer I can
> actually run -CURRENT on.  In order to parallelize task, when my laptop
> is fsck'ing after a panic, I use a collegue's computer on which I have
> a shell to build the new kernel.  Everything works quite well, except
> that when I install the kernel, install(8) will stop on chown(2) :
>
> %%%
>   propane:Z6PO$ make KERNEL=kernel.test DESTDIR=$HOME/export  install
>   [...]
>   mkdir -p /home/tataz/export/boot/kernel.test
>   install -p -m 555 -o root -g wheel kernel
> /home/tataz/export/boot/kernel.test
>   install: /home/tataz/export/boot/kernel.test/kernel: chown/chgrp:
> Operation not permitted
>   *** Error code 71
>
>   Stop in /usr/home/tataz/FreeBSD/CURRENT/src/sys/i386/compile/Z6PO.
> %%%
>
> I thought about adding a flag such as NO_INSTALLCHOWN in both
> kern.post.mk and kmod.mk.  What do you think of the idea ?
>
> I saw there are KMODOWN and KMODGRP in kmod.mk, but it seems there is
> no similar facility in kern.post.mk.  Maybe it would be worth having
> KERNOWN and KERNGRP as well.
>
> I can submit a patch if asked.

I'm trying to think where this would be useful outside your particular
situation. I'm not sure there is a lot of use.

The official way to do what you are looking to do is to mount it the other
way. On the build machine export the src/obj directories and mount them on
the target machine. Then execute your make install from the target
machine. Otherwise you run into problems like you are running into.
Especially if you're running an install as a non-root user.

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans_at_gamersimpact.com