Re: Anybody involved with ISO C standardization ?

From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:01:48 -0500
Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <41F14659.8040003_at_mac.com>, Chuck Swiger writes:
[ ... ]
> Resolution of 2 nanoseconds.
>
> 	To get seconds you have to do a 64 bit divide by 500000000 ?
>
> 	Anyone here heard about binary computers ?
>
> 	Binary fractions please, that we we can simply shift way the bits
> 	we don't want:
>
> 			seconds = longtime >> 29;
>
> 	(For some value of 29.)

Indeed.  Some clever person might decide to power of two which was a multiple
of 8 or 16 or so, so that you don't even have to shift bits, and you end up
with something that resembles (struct timeval).  An integral timer with a
resolution of 1 tick = 1 second has a lot going right for it.

And of course, there is the issue of choosing yet another epoch that nobody
else has heard of.  If you talk to an astronomer, they really want to
standardarize on J2000.

--
-Chuck