Boot / Install freeze with Dell PE1850 5.3 and amd64

From: Stefan Cars <stefan_at_snowfall.se>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 20:33:20 +0100
Hi!

I'm experiencing about the same problems as written before regarding
5.3-BETA3 (said to be fixed in BETA4)

My box just freezes and does not  show any error message after the error
message below. The thing is that I was able to install the system on a
single processor 1850 with the exact same RAID and disk configuration.

The troubling machine is a Dell 1850 with 2x2.8GHZ Noncona, 4GB of RAM
The working machine is a Dell 1850 with 2.2.8GHZ Noncona, 1GB of RAM,
which installs fine with amd64.

Installing the i386 version works fine, amd64 is not.

It hangs initializing the ATA CD-ROMs:

acd: CDROM <VIRTUALCDROM DRIVE/> at ata2-slave BIOSPIO

Kind Regards,
Stefan Cars