Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/md md.c

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:38:32 +0100
In message <20050123190141.GQ36660_at_obiwan.tataz.chchile.org>, Jeremie Le Hen wr
ites:
>> > Ok: even more asserts.  Please try to find out exactly which one
>> > explodes.
>>
>> I'll be able to try this in about 3 hours.  For the moment, I just
>> disabled soft-updates on /, and the panic disappeared.
>
>I re-enabled softupdates and added your assertions.  Here is the panic:
>
>  panic: mutex Giant not owned at ../../../dev/md/md.c:688
>
>You assertions seem to not be triggered or reached.

Can you add some more yourself ?  We need to find out where Giant
is lost, it is picked up here:

        case MD_VNODE:
                mtx_lock(&Giant);
                hasgiant = 1;
                break;

And only dropped again when we exit.

Somehow it gets lost on your machine and there is nothing but for us
to find out where.

Can you try if you can reproduce it with WITNESS enabled  ?