Re: Devd event from GEOM?

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus_at_marcuscom.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:38:25 -0500
On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 09:39 +0000, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, M. Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > : Since they constitute different "things" with quite different management
> > : properties.  This also provides additional contextual information: rather
> > : than devd having to guess what type of object a device node is using name
> > : matching, by learning about it through geom or the network stack, it knows
> > : what kind it is up front in a strong way.
> >
> > While I tend to agree, I do think that GEOM is the wrong layer to
> > announce things from.  The more correct layer would be /dev, since you
> > are again assuming that a GEOM that's created with name foo is
> > accessible via /dev/foo.
>
> So suppose I'm listening to a devd socket to try and identify storage
> devices arriving that I can automount.  How do I know which device
> announcements are for storage devices?

And how would I map those devices to a bus?  Speaking with Linux HAL in
mind, I would like to see storage devices added to devinfo.  It would be
great, IMHO, to see da0 attached to uhub2 on usb2 on ehci2 when walking
devinfo.

As was previously mentioned, the only way to do this currently is to
walk the entire list of cam devices, and string compare busesIt would be
great if this was more easily attainable.

Joe