wine and -current

From: Michael W. Lucas <mwlucas_at_blackhelicopters.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:53:49 -0500
(I'm not sure if this is a -current problem, a wine problem, but
perhaps someone here has a suggestion on how to proceed
troubleshooting.)

This is with FreeBSD 6-current, updated on 1/19/05, with Wine 20050111
from ports, installed to run SimCity 2000.

To see if wine works at all, I tried notepad.exe from a w2k server.
It runs fine, without much CPU usage at all.

Whenever I start the program with "wine SIMCITY.EXE", wine,
wineserver, and X.org start using 100% of the CPU between them.  The
main game window never appears (although the tool/message windows do).

The output from running wine:

# wine /home/mwlucas/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Maxis/SimCity\ 2000/SIMCITY.EXE
fixme:file:get_default_drive_device auto detection of DOS devices not supported on this platform
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryVolumeInformationFile device info not properly supported on this platform
err:heap:HEAP_CreateSystemHeap system heap base address 0x80000000 not available
fixme:font:load_VDMX No suitable ratio found
fixme:mmtime:timeBeginPeriod Stub; we set our timer resolution at minimum
fixme:font:load_VDMX No suitable ratio found
fixme:font:load_VDMX No suitable ratio found
err:tooltips:TOOLTIPS_WindowProc unknown msg 0500 wp=00000000 lp=00000000
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window width -16
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window height -16

The first time I start Wine after boot, I get warnings on the console:

Warning: pid 650 used static ldt allocation

(with wine's pid in the place of 650, it varies with each boot of course)

I had previously tried this with a FreeBSD-current from 12/20/04 and
Wine 20041201.  That version had the same CPU usage problem, but the
main screen was actually drawn and the game could be played.  The
CPU-usage-caused lag was monstrous, and aiming the mouse was a
nightmare, but it could be done.

I'm at a loss to even figure out how to debug this.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas_at_FreeBSD.org, mwlucas_at_BlackHelicopters.org
	       Latest book: Cisco Routers for the Desperate