Re: Devd event from GEOM?

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:13:48 +0100
In message <Pine.NEB.3.96L.1050125143745.3036A-100000_at_fledge.watson.org>, Robert Watson writes:

>We're really not interested
>in the newbus announcement, since there are lots of network interfaces
>that have no physical representation and so aren't visible to newbus.

I think this is the crux of the matter.

newbus events will mostly be able tell us that we need to load a
driver kld.

devfs events on the other hand tells us that something can be
accessed from userland.

Since we added /dev/net/* we have sort of collapsed the split we
previously had where some devices did not appear in /dev.

There are still virtualized cases though, adding more hardware under
opencrypto comes to mind.  I can't really turn that into an example
where we need to do more than respond to newbus by loading the driver.

But as I said in the other email, we should probably have devfs communicate
the type of device to devd to save some rather complex code in userland.
(The regexp matching all our ethernet drivers in devd.conf have always
irritated me).