Re: Devd event from GEOM?

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:10:28 +0000 (GMT)
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <20050125.100128.85358998.imp_at_harmony.village.org>, Warner Losh writes:
> >> We already have the type field in cdevsw, that's what FIODTYPE returns.
> >
> >Is there some way we could export that to userland without having to
> >open the device?
>
> devfs could relay it to devd along with the name.

I think the only interesting objection to this comes in the event that
we're interested in events on objects not appearing in devfs.  If we think
devd is going to learn about routing sockets, that eliminates the one main
source of discomfort I have with devd today -- I don't want devd to key
network actions to things in /dev/net, I want it to key them to events
coming from the network subsystem.

Robert N M Watson