Re: ATAPI CD changers anybody ?

From: Chris Faulhaber <jedgar_at_fxp.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:56:47 -0500
On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 05:36:52PM +0100, S?ren Schmidt wrote:

> Seems I lost my lonely ATAPI CDROM with built in changer to the eternal
> HW scrapyards, let it rest in peace :)
>
> Finding a new one seems difficult so I thought I'd ask around how many
> still has one of these ?
>
> I ask because the support code for those seem to have suffered bitrot to
> the degree that it most likely hasn't worked on -current (maybe even
> 5.x) for a long time, but alas I cant test that.
>
> Now, since it seems that such devices are no longer made, and newer
> really caught on, I need some good reasons to keep the (broken) support
> in there.

I have two of these, a 4x and 6x:

acd0-3: CDROM with 4 CD changer <NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:251> at ata1-master PIO3

I still use one under 4.x but since they will not read many newer
CDR's and CDRW's their usefulness is waning.

If you would like one in order to continue supporting them, send
me your address and I will have one shipped.

--
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar_at_fxp.org - jedgar_at_FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power To Serve   -   http://www.FreeBSD.org