VFS and/or nullfs strangeness

From: Daniel Eriksson <daniel_k_eriksson_at_telia.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:01:17 +0100
I'm getting some strange messages on an SMP machine running CURRENT from
2005.01.26.14.15.00 with debug.mpsafevfs="1". I'm not sure if it is related
to the MP-safe VFS or the latest (nullfs) buf-changes.

I've gotten quite a few of these messages on the console:

open: ..: 0
open: ../..: 0
open: ../../..: 0
open: ../../../..: 0

They appear as a group of 4 (like above). In two days I've received ~50 such
bursts.

The machine uses quite a lot of nullfs mounts (~350) and exports the
resulting "filesystem" through Samba. I have observed the most number of
message-bursts while locally moving stuff around on the nullfs mounts, but
I've also seen a few bursts during activity through Samba.

The messages does not seem to have any negative effects. I can cleanly
unmount all filesystems and I have not yet seen any panics or other
problems.

/Daniel Eriksson