Re: unwanted shutdowns

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:22:36 -0600
In the last episode (Jan 28), Sergey Matveychuk said:
> My CURRENT box has random shutdowns time to time. No panic. Just
> clean shutdown with common messages on console.
>
> I've updated yesterday, but the symptom I've seen with previous
> sources too (updated two or three weeks ago).

I'm suspecting ACPI.  I had two similar occurences on my 5.3 machine.
One was a clean sutdown&poweroff in the middle of the night, and
another one just logged this in /var/log/messages:

Dec 27 16:13:44 <0.2> dan kernel: acpi0: Sleep state S3 not supported by BIOS
Dec 27 16:13:49 <0.2> dan kernel: acpi: suspend request ignored (not ready yet)

According to "sysctl hw.acpi", none of my case buttons are set to S3 so
it's not caused by someone bumping the machine and accidentally
triggering it.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com