Re: kern/71142; VESA 1024x768 _at_ the console

From: Nikolas Britton <freebsd_at_nbritton.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:58:16 -0600
Michal Mertl wrote:

>Xin LI wrote:
>

>>(CC'ed to dsnofe as he has shown interest of this)
>>
>>Yes, a patchset candidate is available at:
>>
>>http://people.freebsd.org/~delphij/vesa
>>
>>This is what I am running with, minus a moused rc.d script patch which
>>can be found in the original PR.
>>
>>Unfortunately I sometimes get odd reboots when trying to start GNOME
>>without any panics/coredumps, and attaching a USB mouse will clear the
>>screen with a claim that "Inappropriate ioctl" or something similiar.
>>
>>I will commit the patch if there's no apparent problems with it.
>>

>I have also modified the original patch a bit. The main difference in my
>version is that I support any mode vesa bios in your card does.
>
>Patch against current from October attached. I can help you finding and
>possibly merging the differences. I think we really should add 8 bit
>support - the only think needed is to be able to programm the palette.
>The high/true color modes are pretty slow even on modern hardware. If
>there's interest I think I can add it.

I personally have been using the patch set that was posted by Deng
XueFeng:

I have not had any major problems (only minor, like the moused error and
console sluggishness) with it and have it running on my main desktop
(MODE_282, 1280x1024x16), 3 servers, and 2 laptops (MODE_279) which are
running RELENG_5_3. I've made a ghetto batch script to apply this patch:

cd /tmp
rm current-vesa_patch.tar.gz
fetch http://www.nbritton.org/uploads/current-vesa_patch.tar.gz
rm -r current-vesa_patch
tar -zxvf current-vesa_patch.tar.gz
cd /usr/src/sys/dev/syscons
patch </tmp/current-vesa_patch/current-syscons.diff
cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/vidcontrol
cp /tmp/current-vesa_patch/current-vidcontrol.1 ./vidcontrol.1
cp /tmp/current-vesa_patch/current-vidcontrol.c ./vidcontrol.c
make && make install && make clean