Re: tcp_isn_tick() / dummynet() callout madness ?

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:52:34 +0000 (GMT)
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> change to the callout API?  Just a few places in the kernel account for
> most of the use of callouts, so even if a rewrite of those would be
> necessary, it should pay off.

Well, part of the problem is that many callouts always re-register, and
right now they're forced to pay a penalty for it.  I almost wonder if we
shouldn't add a new flag or method to swap the costs: register a recurring
callout every (x) ticks, and you pay a cost to unregister it if the flag
is set, and the callout is otherwise automatically rescheduled.

Robert N M Watson