Re: ipod photo can't attach to SCSI device help

From: Dennis Koegel <amf_at_hobbit.neveragain.de>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 15:19:33 +0200
On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 02:53:00PM +0800, wsk wrote:
> while connected my ipod photo to USB2.0 ports under CURRENT,
> the SCSI device couldn't attached ??
> hereis the dmesg:
> umass0: Apple iPod, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 3
> and camcontrol devlist -v list:
> wsk# camcontrol devlist -v
> scbus0 on umass-sim0 bus 0:
> scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:
> < > at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)

In case some more information is helpful: I have the same problem here
on a ThinkPad X31, on RELENG_5 as well as on CURRENT. The kernel
recognizes the umass device but doesn't create or mention any scsi-da
device.

Scheduler, Preemption and ACPI don't seem to matter.

When running camcontrol rescan, it just hangs.

What's most interesting: After detaching the device, the machine often
simply reboots. Sometimes immediately, sometimes after a short while
(delays from just some seconds up to about a minute seen so far).

In some cases of luck, detaching and re-attaching the cable several
times makes the kernel recognize the da device and it works fine! Maybe
it's some weird timing problem... The reboot happens in that case as
well, though.

- D.