Re: dhclient.conf for ath wireless

From: Freddie Cash <fcash_at_ocis.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:53:48 -0700
On July 5, 2005 08:34 am, Erik Nørgaard wrote:
> Rob B wrote:
> > At 06:18 PM 5/07/2005, Erik Nørgaard wrote:
> >> in dhclient.conf. But on boot, dhclient enters into an infinite loop
> >> bringing up and down the interface, until I break it. I have to
> >> manually run "ifconfig ath0 ssid MYAP mode 11g" and then start
> >> dhclient manually to force it to associate correctly with MYAP.

> > Have you tried putting the appropriate ifconfig command line into
> > /etc/start_if.ath0.  That works for me.

> Thanks, that was the keyword I needed. I searched google and at it
> appears that in -current the start_if script may be replaced by setting
> the options in the rc.conf:

>    ifconfig_ath0="ssid MYAP mode 11g DHCP"

> It doesn't seem to be appropriate if you hook up to various networks,
> such as at home, Starbucks etc. would be neat to have the startup script
> to run through the preconfigured networks and pick the first one that
> works.

I haven't tried this yet, but you should be able to use the WPA Supplicant
and /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf to configure multiple networks, using WEP
and/or WPA.  Just create a separate network block for each one with all
the appropriate settings.  Then change the ifconfig line in /etc/rc.conf
to read:
  ifconfig_ath0="WPA DHCP"

The wpa supplicant will be started and configured to use ath0, it will go
through the networks in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf until it either finds
none and exits or finds one and connects, then dhclient will be executed
on ath0.
--
Freddie Cash
fcash_at_ocis.net