Re: 6.0-CURRENT SNAP004 hangs on amr

From: Mike Tancsa <mike_at_sentex.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 11:47:22 -0400
At 10:06 AM 08/07/2005, John Baldwin wrote:
>On Thursday 07 July 2005 10:09 pm, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> > At 04:58 PM 07/07/2005, John Baldwin wrote:
> > >Crud, it's off in the weeds. :(  Can you do a boot -v and get the lines
> > > after 'pcib3:'?
> >
> > Here you go
>
>Ok, I see why it is badly confused in the non-APIC and non-ACPI case though I
>don't know why it is panicing.  (FWIW, it is trying to route all interrupts
>to IRQ 14 because your $PIR is all busted *sigh*).  BIOS writers suck.

Unfortunately, this is the latest version of the BIOS from Dell.

>Anyway, I still need a simple matrix of what works and what doesn't work
>first (if I got one earlier I lost it):
>
>ACPI/APIC - amr0 gets no interrupts, hangs after boot

yes, it hangs either with amr or perhaps ata.  yesterday I was trying just
a netboot and it seemed to work if I pulled the card and did not have the
ata code in the driver, although I had not setup the fstab to properly
work, but the fact that I was complaining about mounting root implies it
got farther along.  If you feel this is worth checking out, I could pull
the amr card again, and try and properly netboot a kernel and mount root
via nfs on 6.x.

On RELENG_5 it sometimes works if I disable ata in the kernel.   I attached
the boot-v from releng5.  6.x hangs (also attached)

>ACPI/no-APIC - amr0 gets no interrupts, hangs after boot?

Panic.  This case should be in the last email I sent.
OK set hint.apic.0.disabled=1
OK load acpi.ko

kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address   = 0xba9f
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc00fd141
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xc0c2094c
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xc0c209b8
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 0 (swapper)
[thread pid 0 tid 0 ]
Stopped at      0xc00fd141:     cmpb    %cs:0xba9f,%bh
db> trace
Tracing pid 0 tid 0 td 0xc07d1c60
kernbase(e0b,c07029d1,c00fc860,c00fc86b,c0c209f8) at 0xc00fd141
db>

>no-ACPI/APIC - ???

RELENG_5, all is happy. 6.x hang.

>no-ACPI/no-APIC - busted $PIR causes the code to go off into the weeds
>
>Is that summary more or less correct?  Can you test the missing case?  Also,
>is there any difference between 5.4 and 6.0 in this table?

I have yet to find a combo that allows me to boot 6.x with the amr card in.

         ---Mike