Re: location of bioq lock

From: Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_icir.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:58:27 -0700
scott, i probably did not provide enough context...

To reassure you, I dont intend to change the status quo - the
queue is owned by the driver, and the locking scheme remains the same.

What we are trying to do is abstract the disk scheduler API so that
if a user, or a subsystem, or a piece of hardware, could benefit
from a different scheduler than the default, it can be easily plugged in.

    In RELENG_4 and RELENG_5 most drivers use bioq_disksort(), which
    optimizes for throughput, but may not be ideal when apps have
    even soft real-time requirements (e.g. media players), plus
    there are different approaches (e.g. the anticipatory scheduling
    that someone referenced) that could prove more effective. Stuff
    like RAID drivers might have different request ordering
    requirements. Even the ATA driver in HEAD uses a different
    scheduler than bioq_disksort, but for lack of a proper API
    that's hardwired in the driver.
    And then as you say, the hardware might have an intelligent
    controller so it might be worthwhile disabling sorting - but
    then, the same driver e.g.  SCSI or ATA might talk to differently
    'smart' hardware and so having configurable per-device schedulers
    might be useful.

Now, if one sees the disk scheduler as a boot-time option, then
the bioq_*() functions are all one needs - the API calls assume
that the subsystem is already locked so nobody except the driver
needs to know about the lock.

However, if one wants to be able to switch schedulers at runtime
(e.g. through a sysctl), then at the time of a switch you may need to
move requests from the old scheduler to the new one, and in the
process you have to lock each queue before playing with it.

So the issue is _not_ changing the locking scheme, but just making
the sysctl handler aware of the address (and maybe type) of the lock.

Here are the two ways that I suggested - 1) put the lock in the queue
so its address is implicitly known, or 2) pass it as an additional
argument to bioq_init(). Either way, when the sysctl handler needs
to play with the bioq outside the normal requests issued by
the driver, it knows which lock to grab.

I am totally with you when say that a single lock covering not
just the bioq is more efficient - this seems to push towards
method #2, which overall is more flexible.

	cheers
	luigi