Re: [Qemu-devel] kqemu freebsd host smp problems?

From: Norikatsu Shigemura <nork_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:27:26 +0900 (JST)
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 12:10:28 +0100
Antony T Curtis <antony.t.curtis_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > 	I confirmed that qemu on latest FreeBSD 6-current got more
> > 	stability!!, but more little slowly:-( and a panic:-( too.
> IMO, That flag is not the cause of the panics and that it should(tm)
> work without requiring GIANT...
> I think it is possible that the kqemu code is freeing a page without
> unlocking it so that when another process does file IO which requires
> pages to be allocated, attempts to wire those pages results in failure
> and so a panic occurrs.
> Perhaps if a different method for allocating memory rather than
> contigmalloc/contigfree should be used by the kernel module.

	Hummm...  I can't fix this issue.  Please, please:-).

> <snip>
> Offtopic - but am I the only person who has modified the if_tap driver
> to permit opening by non-superuser?

	Did you modify if_tap driver?  I didn't, I set follwoing setting.

	1. Add following lines to /etc/devfs.conf
	# Allow a user in the wheel group to query the if_tap device
	perm	tap*	0660

	2. Add following line to /etc/sysctl.conf
	net.link.tap.user_open=1