Re: #! interpreter argument handling in UPDATING ?

From: Garance A Drosehn <gad_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:58:16 -0400
At 12:45 PM +0200 7/13/05, Marc Olzheim wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:21:25PM +0200, Marc Olzheim wrote:
>>  Hi.
>>
>  > Shouldn't the new (6-STABLE) interpreter argument handling be
>  > in /usr/src/UPDATING ? Or will it be in the release notes ?

This I don't know about.  I thought I had added an entry to
UPDATING, I have not looked to see what (if anything) happened
to it.

>Btw.: Why isn't there some compatibilty mode added to the 4 and
>5-STABLE /usr/bin/env , so that there's at least a common way to
>run scripts on different FreeBSD servers that does the multiple
>argument handling ?
>
>Like ignoring a -S or interpreting it as -- ...

I first wanted to make sure all the bugs were ironed out of the
version in 6.x.  I have a few minor bug fixes yet to commit to
the 6.x version, for instance.  (I'll probably commit them to
7.x today, now that the code freeze has lifted for that).

Other than that, it's mainly just the bother of writing up a
different man page.  Since the parsing done by the kernel is
different in 5.x/4.x (and that parsing is not going to change),
I suspect that the man page needs a different description for 5.x.
I also need to do some testing to make sure I stick to examples
which work the same for both kinds of argument-handling as done
by the kernel.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad_at_FreeBSD.org