Re: AMD64 + Nvidia Display Card

From: Rainer Duffner <rainer_at_ultra-secure.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:17:43 +0200
Brett Wildermoth wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 04:18 am, owner-freebsd-stable_at_freebsd.org wrote:

>>>Last I heard, nvidia had no plans to make a FreeBSD amd64 driver. Just
>>>post that
>>>you're pissed about it like the rest of us are... maybe they'll
>>>reconsider.
>>>

>>Not true.  FreeBSD's kernel doesn't provide some things needed for an amd64
>>driver to be feasible.
>>

>Like what???? what are these features? and if they are really important why
>aren't they on the cards to be included into FreeBSD......

I think this has come up before (multiple times...almost a FAQ-candidate
IMO).
AFAICR, the changes are not in CURRENT, yet, but there are plans to
integrate them in the future.

Can't you just run those AMD-boxes in i386-mode, for the time being?

BTW: wouldn't it be good to note things like these in the
"errata"-section in the handbook?
The port itself is marked as "ONLY_FOR_ARCHS= i386". But usually, by the
time one reaches that stage, the hardware has already been bought ;-)

Do all other Xorg-drivers work on AMD64?

cheers,
Rainer