Re: Problems with OpenBSD dhclient

From: Bakul Shah <bakul_at_BitBlocks.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:14:49 -0700
> > More serious is that I can't roam. When I move between APs, dhclient
> > exits and I need to manually re-start it. I lose my SSH sessions. Ugh!
> >
> > Worse, I occasionally see my association drop momentarily when I am
> > simply sitting and typing. Once again, dhclient dies and I must manually
> > restart it and then re-establish my SSH and recover anything broken when
> > the connection dropped. This is fairly serious! I don't understand what
> > causes this, but it is infrequent which makes it hard to catch.
> >
> > It looks like killing dhclient when the interface drops is not a good
> > idea. At very least, it needs to give a little time for re-association
> > before dropping the DHCP client.
>
> I'm experiencing similar or identical problems.  When at the British
> Library the day before yesterday, slight blips in my association would
> result in loss of my IP address, requiring manual restarting of dhclient.
>
> My normal approach for wireless/etc is to settle on a link -- be it wired
> ethernet or 802.11, and run dhclient on it to get things going.  When
> done, I'll typically kill off dhclient.  This worked pretty well with the
> old dhclient setup, but not so well with the new one.  Because I range
> over a variety of network environments, from adhoc 802.11, wired ethernet,
> to base station based 802.11, I tend to want to say "do this for now", and
> have it stick until I move on.  Maybe what I need to change is software
> configuration -- i.e., devd to re-launch dhclient.  But obviously what I'm
> doing now isn't working, and results in a pretty poor user experience
> (blips or roaming and suddenly the network is gone).

To avoid interface flapping perhaps some hysteresis needs to
be introduced in dhclient?  If a link up event occurs within
N seconds of a link down event, ignore them both!  N may need
to be tunable.  Such hysteresis is _not_ needed for
administrative up/down -- when I say `ifconfig ath0 down', I
want it down *now*!

Devd does need to relaunch dhclient (& wpa_supplicant etc.)
on a genuine link up event.