Re: Problems with OpenBSD dhclient

From: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser_at_sigpipe.cz>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:11:23 +0200
# craig_at_xfoil.gank.org / 2005-07-14 14:18:32 -0500:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:58:51AM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > I'm seeing this as well.  I think we're going to need to handle wireless
> > and wired interfaces differently since their links work differently.
>
> If anything, please PLEEEEEASE make it possible to disable this behavior
> for ALL interface types.
>
> There's nothing more annoying (to me) than unplugging a Windows 2000
> machine for half a second to reroute or swap a network cable, then
> finding that all the open connections were terminated because it briefly
> lost its IP address.

    The suggestion above got me quite agitated as this behavior of
    windows is one of the things I abhor in the software, because it
    (the behavior) cuts down usability of the software. Pull the wrong
    cable from a switch after you've downloaded most of an iso image,
    and you'll see how useful this behavior is.

    The situation gets even worse in wireless networks where you can
    occasionaly have link down without doing anything to the equipment.

    All in all, doing too much when the link goes down would be a big
    mistake.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.