Re: mss.c pcm fix to ' attach returned 6 ' load failure for v5.x acpi and up

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:30:59 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <4.3.2.7.2.20050716114020.01f0fcb8_at_mail.qconline.com>
            Harry Coin <harrycoin_at_qconline.com> writes:
: I think all that's needed to wrap this up is for the powers that be to
: offer clarity about one thing, final decision about the case of arbitrary
: (beyond com1, etc.) non-pnp ISA devices probe routines.

As far as I kow, there's nothing wrong with them.  Please state the
problem.  They work and work well today.  Without a clear problem
statement, it is hard to know what you are complaining about.

: A great many sound
: chips of various register demands are in this list.  (Admittedly older
: devices, but I ran into serious breakage of an isa pnp device driver
: because of interactions with the related non-pnp probe routine that
: supported earlier chipsets in the same family that were largely register
: compatible with the pnp versions).

I just took a look at mss.  I'm not at all sure what you are talking
about.  mss.c specifically doesn't probe devices that aren't PNP for
its identify the device case.  pnpmss does only pnp devices.  The
mss_probe routine won't look anywhere other than it has been
specifically instructed to look by the hints mechanism.

Can you be more specific about the exact breakage?  Vague statements
like the above don't convey the information that I need to help you
solve your problem.

Warner