Re: Errno man page

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 01:37:29 +0300
On 2005-07-18 00:14, Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_fer.hr> wrote:
> I think the errno(i.e. intro(2)) page needs to be updated. There is
> some information that doesn't "feel" current:
>
> - for EFBIG (#27) - I hope the limit is > 2.1E9 on ufs2 :)

The maximum file size is probably a property of the underlying filesystem,
so I don't think it should be explicitly defined as a value like 2.1E9;
especially since this value is inaccurate, because it isn't equal to the
value 2^31, which is probably what was meant.

I think that instead of trying to guess a value that would be correct for
many filesystems, but obviously wrong for others, we should just remove the
explicit size.

> - for EMFILE - is the limit on open files really 64 per process?

Not necessarily.  It's what kern.maxfilesperproc says.  On my CURRENT
system that is a little lower than kern.maxfiles:

# gothmog:/home/giorgos$ sysctl -a | grep files
# kern.maxfiles: 8072
# kern.maxfilesperproc: 7264

> (And of course, tuning(7) also has some historical figures)

Can you help us identify them?

- Giorgos