Re: mss.c pcm fix to ' attach returned 6 ' load failure for v5.x acpi and up

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:19:29 -0400
On Saturday 16 July 2005 02:58 pm, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : dmesg excerpt ...
> : mss_probe: bus acpi0 is probing device pcm0
> : mss_probe: isa_get_logicalid() returned 0!
>
> This is the problem.  It shouldn't be probing there.  It doesn't in
> current.  Chances are John beat me to it and we're arguing over
> something that's been fixed...

I removed that probe in current.  The problem is that ACPI has HID values that
are strings like "ACPI0003" that don't fit the EISAID model, so for devices
like ACPI thermal zones that only have an ACPI HID, there's no PNP-compatible
HID or CID to return to the ISA drivers.  I think the proper solution is that
drivers that don't support ACPI-enumerate devices (recall that ACPI
enumerates PNPBIOS devices) need to stop having acpi attachments, and that
drivers that do need to use ISA_PNP_PROBE().  I think that the only embedded
sound controllers are PCI, so that probably all of the ISA PNP sound drivers
don't need acpi attachments but I could be wrong.