mksnap_ffs takes 4-5 minutes?

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:38:03 -0500
Last week, I tried making a snapshot of one of my NFS servers'
partitions.   I've done this one other machines before, with smaller
barely used partitions, and it has always been relatively snappy.

This time, when I ran mksnap_ffs, the command took nearly 5 minutes, in
which time all NFS traffic was suspended, as well as all disk access on
the machine.  After reading in the FreeBSD Implementation book
(McKusick), it claims it should be very very fast.

Anyone know why it should take so long to do this snapshot?  Is this
expected normal behaviour, or should I expect faster snapshots?

Here's some info on the filesystem:
Filesystem        1K-blocks     Used     Avail Capacity iused    ifree
%iused  Mounted on
/dev/da1s1d       406234604 91799154 281936682    25% 1300303 51197103
   2%   /scr03

/dev/da1s1d on /scr03 (ufs, NFS exported, local, soft-updates)

Eric

A lost ounce of gold may be found, a lost moment of time never.