Re: cvs commit: src/games/fortune/fortune fortune.c

From: Andrey Chernov <ache_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:16:32 +0400
On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 04:14:49PM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Friday, 22 July 2005 at 23:12:30 -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> > Changing venue to -current, since these kinds of protracted discussions
> > don't belong on the commit mailing lists.
> >
> > Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> >
> >> But for whatever reasons, many systems seem to have incorrect
> >> random(4) initialization.
> >
> > I don't think it has anything to do with /dev/random initialization, I
> > think that there is an error somewhere in the fortune code that is causing
> > this problem.
>
> You should take a look at what I committed.  It simply uses the
> microsecond value returned by getlocaltime() for the automatic seeding
> by srandomdev().  It fixes the problem.  I can see only two
> explanations:

Well, I am not advocate /dev/random initialization bug in preference of
fortune bug. But your "fix" not fix _anything_ in _either_ case, for
fortune bug or for /dev/random bug. Better back it out and seek true bug.

For fortune bug you can turn on DPRINTF at least and see what really
happens. Since I can't reproduce it, I can't help, only people who can
reproduce.

--
http://ache.pp.ru/