6.0-BETA1 atapicam and acpi problems

From: Jason Harmening <jasonh_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:47:42 +0100 (EDT)
Hi all,

I just upgraded from FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE to 6.0-BETA1 on an amd64 desktop
and an i386 laptop (ThinkPad A31).  I've generally been very impressed
with its performance and stability, but I've noticed a couple of problems:

1.  On the desktop, I have an old Fujitsu DynaMO 2.3G ATAPI MO drive, and
I've always had to use atapicam with it because there's no native ATA
driver.  The drive is genuinely capable of UDMA33, and I have
hw.ata.atapi_dma turned on.  In the past the SCSI device listing that
comes from atapicam has always shown the full transfer rate, as follows:

da0 at ata0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <FUJITSU MCJ3230AP 0030> Removable Optical SCSI-4 device
da0: 33.000MB/s transfers

But now with the upgrade to 6.0, it doesn't look as if UDMA is being enabled:

da0 at ata0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <FUJITSU MCJ3230AP 0030> Removable Optical SCSI-4 device
da0: 3.300MB/s transfers

My UDMA33 CD burner still shows 33 MB/s in its atapicam SCSI listing, so I
know UDMA transfers aren't completely broken with atapicam.  And I can't
seem to use atacontrol to change the mode, because atacontrol has changed
and requires an actual ata device file rather than a channel number.  But
I can still use the drive, and its performance doesn't seem to have been
hurt, for small files at least.

2.  The laptop has ACPI issues--it worked fine with 5.4, but with 6.0 if I
suspend and resume with the X server running, the screen will become
garbled--I have to reboot via ssh.  If I shut down X before suspending, it
will resume fine, but if I then try to restart X, the screen will again
become garbled.  The machine will still be responsive--I can issue
commands via ssh--but if I try to issue a reboot or shutdown command, it
will hang and I'll have to do a hard reboot.

I don't have debugging turned on in either kernel, so let me know if you
want traces and I'll turn it back on.

Otherwise, everything is working fine.  Thanks in advance for any help you
may be able to offer.

Jason Harmening