Re: -current kernel can't be complied for 3 days

From: Oliver Lehmann <lehmann_at_ans-netz.de>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:13:49 +0200
M. Warner Losh wrote:

> Chances are you are running out of memory.  Can you try the build w/o
> -jN?  Large values of N can easily run a body out of swap space,
> yeilding a build failure when the tree is perfectly fine.
>
> Persoanally, I never do a -j larger then 4 or 8.  top shows that the
> system that I have is giant bound when I do, so why add more people to
> the list of Giant waiters?

Hi Warner,

I don't think that i ran out of memory. At least swapper didn't sayed
sth. like that. Back in Dec 2001 I even had a -j100 running (for fun) and
it build successfully. This was on a dual PII 333 with 320MB of memoty
compiling a 4.XX on a 4.XX.
Why shouldn't a -j16 on a dual PIII 850 with 640MB of memory compiling a
6.0 on a 5.4 doesn't work then? I know there are many differences between
4.X and 5.X but why got it worse?
A -j4 worked btw (at least the one time I tried it)

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/