6-BETA1 iwi + wpa_supplicant fails, and sometimes silently reboots

From: Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH <allbery_at_ece.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:54:04 -0400
I've been trying to use the iwi driver with wpa_supplicant to autodetect
my home network (WPA-TKIP) and campus network (open).

So far, I've had no success getting it to associate with my Linksys
BEFW11S4 router/AP; I can't figure out how to get a key in common
between them --- an ASCII key simply fails, and wpa_supplicant and the
Linksys have very different ideas about the length of hex keys (the
Linksys wants 40 hex digits).

Things are even worse trying to use it on campus:  the driver
continually spews "iwi0: unknown authentication state 1" and "iwi0:
fatal error" messages, and after a few minutes the machine (IBM Thinkpad
T42, 2378-R4U) silently reboots.  No panic message, no core dump, just
freezes for about a second and then displays the BIOS screen (much as if
I'd hit a reset button, not that there is one aside from holding the
power button for 10 seconds).  This happens even if the only entry
in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf is for the open network.

Both networks are 802.11b.

I've been unable to collect any significant debugging information from
the latter because of the silent reboot.

Is iwi considered usable at this point, or should I give up and try to
get the NDIS driver working?  (I had tried it initially but couldn't get
it to accept an SSID; this was before wpa_supplicant hit the tree so I
was using an ifconfig in /etc/start_if.ndis_iwi0... it also failed to
work, with no error message, from the command line.  Of course, NDIS
support has been reworked since then.)

--
brandon s. allbery   [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]      allbery_at_kf8nh.com
system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery_at_ece.cmu.edu