Re: More dhclient gayness

From: Mateusz Jędrasik <imachine_at_toya.net.pl>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:03:01 +0200
Dnia wtorek 26 lipca 2005 02:29, Mike Jakubik napisał:
> xl0: link state changed to UP
> DHCPREQUEST on xl0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> DHCPREQUEST on xl0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> DHCPACK from x.x.x.1
> bound to x.x.x.195 -- renewal in 43200 seconds.
> xl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         options=9<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU>
>         inet x.x.x.195 netmask 0xffffff80 broadcast x.x.x.255
>         ether 00:01:03:d4:4c:07
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>         status: active
> Creating and/or trimming log files:.
> Starting syslogd.
> Additional routing options: IP gateway=YES.
> Starting devd.
> dhclient xl0: already running?
> Mounting NFS file systems:.
>
> ---
>
> Why is dhclient being run again? Can someone tell me why this openbsd
> version was brought in anyways? The old one worked just fine, this seems
> like yet another reinvention of a wheel, and a broken one at that.

I have a very similar issue on 6.0-BETA, it starts once, then again during the
boot process similarly at the same place You mentioned, with
ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP" in rc.conf.

Eh. ;-)

Btw, is it possible to have two interfaces? I have w wi0 and fxp0 card, the
wi0 being dynamically switchable on or off with a switch on the laptop's
side. I would ideally like both of them to do DHCP, however, first trying the
currently working/available interface - that is, fxp0 - then, if the fxp0
link goes down, and nothing is up, cancelling the DHCP request, later, when
the wi0 gets switched ON, FreeBSD automatically picking up DHCP from the
associated wireless network - is that possible, without manually needing to
start DHCP every time?

Cheers,

/m.