Re: hostap recently broken

From: Michal Mertl <mime_at_traveller.cz>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:00:56 +0200
Sam Leffler píše v út 26. 07. 2005 v 09:29 -0700:
> Michal Mertl wrote:
> > Sam Leffler wrote:

> >>I just tried with CURRENT (from last night).  5212 card setup with TKIP
> >>for PTK and GTK.  ap operating in 11g.  Powerbook running Tiger
> >>associated and operated fine.  29Mb/s for upstream tcp netperf (sta and
> >>ap in close proximity--rssi 41).
> >>
> >>I appreciate you testing stuff but please try to diagnose your problems
> >>a bit harder and then provide more useful info like the h/w revs and the
> >>exact steps you use to setup a non-working system.
> >

> > Sorry, I had the exact same HW setup as before which I described in my
> > email about the problem with bridging.
> >
> > I've got several Atheros 5212 cards (mac 5.9 phy 4.3 radio 3.6) and also
> > IPW notebook all running CURRENT, the notebook and the client several
> > days old (from before 2005-07-22 16:00 UTC).
> >
> > The most basic setup - 'ifconfig ath0 192.168.0.1 mediaopt hostap ssid
> > aaa' on the AP and 'ifconfig ath0 192.168.0.2 ssid aaa' worked like a
> > charm before the date and not after. With the newer kernel on the AP the
> > cards associate and as I've just found I can communicate between the
> > stations on the AP. Ping to the AP doesn't work even when I get the MAC
> > address of the AP via ARP. Adhoc connection works.
>
> I am unclear still on what happens.  I believe you are saying:
>
> ping 192.168.0.1
>
> from the station to the ap fails.  If so what does 80211stats show on
> the ap when this happens (do releveant error stats go up)?  If you do

 ./80211stats -a
00:0b:6b:35:dc:d4:
        rx_mgmt 1
        tx_data 107 tx_bytes 9788

00:0b:6b:35:dc:f0:
        rx_data 107 rx_mgmt 1 rx_bytes 10430
        tx_data 6 tx_mgmt 2 tx_bytes 36
        tx_assoc 1 tx_auth 1

./athstats
8 tx management frames
3 tx frames discarded prior to association
93 tx failed 'cuz too many retries
930 long on-chip tx retries
1 tx frames with no ack marked
8148 beacons transmitted
27 periodic calibrations
834 rate control checks
rssi of last ack: 48
avg recv rssi: 49
1 switched default/rx antenna
Antenna profile:
[1] tx        8 rx       97
[2] tx        1 rx        0

These are shortly after reboot after several minutes of inactivity and
now ping running 150 sec.

After some 20 secs:

./athstats
8 tx management frames
3 tx frames discarded prior to association
181 tx failed 'cuz too many retries
1810 long on-chip tx retries
1 tx frames with no ack marked
9021 beacons transmitted
30 periodic calibrations
923 rate control checks
rssi of last ack: 48
avg recv rssi: 44
1 switched default/rx antenna
Antenna profile:
[1] tx        8 rx      185
[2] tx        1 rx        0

./80211stats -a
00:0b:6b:35:dc:d4:
        rx_mgmt 1
        tx_data 183 tx_bytes 16780

00:0b:6b:35:dc:f0:
        rx_data 183 rx_mgmt 1 rx_bytes 17878
        tx_data 6 tx_mgmt 2 tx_bytes 36
        tx_assoc 1 tx_auth 1

> 80211debug +input

> on the ap do you get any log msgs about discarded frames?

Nothing is displayed.

> You also seem to say the sta resolves the ip w/ arp.  Is the same true
> for the ap (i.e. that it resolves the ip address of the sta)?  I'm
> assuming you are NOT running firewall rules do not have crypto setup and
> have not fiddled with parameters like apbridge (you didn't provide
> ifconfig output for each side).

No, I set the cards only with the commands provided. There's no
firewall.

AP:

ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:0b:6b:35:dc:d4
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect <hostap>
(autoselect <hostap>)
        status: associated
        ssid aaa channel 36 bssid 00:0b:6b:35:dc:d4
        authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpowmax 52 dtimperiod 1 bintval 100

STA:

ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:0b:6b:35:dc:f0
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (OFDM/54Mbps)
        status: associated
        ssid aaa channel 36 bssid 00:0b:6b:35:dc:d4
        authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpowmax 53 bintval 100

> I rarely test direct communication between sta+ap; usually I bridge to a
> wired net and communicate with stations on the wired net (it's always
> what I'm doing when I report netperf numbers).  Does bridged
> communication to a sta on another network work?

I've just set up bridging on ath and wired ethernet and pinged a station
on it. This works.

I changed the IP addresses and did 'sysctl
net.link.ether.bridge.config="ath0 fxp0"' and 'sysctl
net.link.ether.bridge.enable=1'.

ifconfig of the AP:

fxp0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
        options=b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU>
        ether 00:0e:0c:68:71:6a
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX)
        status: active
ath0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
        ether 00:0b:6b:35:dc:d4
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect <hostap>
(autoselect <hostap>)
        status: associated
        ssid aaa channel 36 bssid 00:0b:6b:35:dc:d4
        authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpowmax 52 dtimperiod 1 bintval 100

I still can't ping 10.0.0.1 from the STA (which is now 10.0.0.3).

Thank you for your help. I won't be able to continue testing for several
hours, sorry.

The ath cards I have have two antenna connectors. Does it matter which
one I use? I see that sysctl dev.ath shows different txantenna than
rxantenna but I only have one antenna connected (and don't really know
what is the number of the connector).

Michal