Re: HEADS-UP: New shared library versions coming soon

From: Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie_at_le-hen.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:53:17 +0200
Hi,

> To help with making the compat library support a bit less of a headache
> we have decided to bump the shared library version number for all of the
> shared libraries that make up the base system as part of doing a new
> release branch.  This means that once we reach a "steady state" roughly
> a month after a new release branch is created we will bump the shared
> library version numbers up by one in HEAD.  Using the *next* release
> branch as an example, that means about a month after RELENG_7 gets
> created we will bump the shared library versions up by one in HEAD.
> That way as time goes on from that point packages-8-current (what
> portmgr builds to support HEAD) will have what we expect the shared
> library versions to be for RELENG_8.  And we hope waiting a month after
> the branch occurs before doing the version bump we will be less
> disruptive to people developing and testing the new release.
>
> Since support for this is new, what needs to be done now will be worse
> than what we will be doing down the road.  Tomorrow we will bump the
> shared library version numbers in both RELENG_6 and HEAD by one so that
> they differ from the version numbers currently in RELENG_5.  Then some
> time a bit after the 6.0-RELEASE is finished we will bump all the
> version numbers in HEAD again.
>
> It will take a while for the fallout from this version bump to
> propagate.  People who cvsup/rebuild existing systems should not be
> impacted immediately - you will still have the older library versions
> present on your systems.  However it will take time for the pre-built
> packages provided by the portmgr folks to be rebuilt, loaded onto the
> FTP servers, and propagate out to the mirrors.

I wanted to run the vi(1) binary coming from my RELENG_4 on my CURRENT.
It appears that libncurses.5 doesn't exist.  Looking at this kind of
problem more closely revealed that libc.so.5 is missing too.  I guess
there are other missing compat libraries.  Are there any plans to
provide these ?

Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen