Re: dhclient sucks

From: Jose M Rodriguez <josemi_at_freebsd.jazztel.es>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:45:07 +0200
El mar, 26-07-2005 a las 20:48 -0600, Scott Long escribió:
> Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> >>supersede { [option declaration] [, ... option declaration] }
> >>
> >>Ex, I use "supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;" to set my own name
> >>server.
> >

> > That just means you have to hardcode your resolver and default route into
> > dhclient.conf - there is no "Don't touch this setting on my computer even if
> > the DHCP server tells you to" flag in the config file I believe.
> >

> Part of the point of going to the new codebase was to free us from being
> locked into vendor sources that we couldn't easily change.  If there is
> a need for a new option, please code it up and commit it!

The main problem is that OpenBSD dhclient doesn't operate under std DHCP
concepts/guidelines.

a dhclient daemon must not alter IPs on media changes, only if they
can't rebind the assigned IP in time.

ALso, ISC dhcp operation, which may seems simple, it's more complex that
a quick look may point.

I'll be really happy if this kind of infraestructure changes are not
done at the end of development cycles.

--
  josemi