Re: dhclient sucks

From: David Gilbert <dgilbert_at_dclg.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:09:55 -0400

Doug> Scott Long wrote:
>> Part of the point of going to the new codebase was to free us from
>> being locked into vendor sources that we couldn't easily change.

Doug> It's not at all clear to me how the ISC license prevented us
Doug> from easily changing anything. There may have been other
Doug> compelling reasons to change code, but I would need this one
Doug> explained in more detail to be convinced.

I've been privately grousing about the dhclient change for some time,
but since someone else started the thread, here are my observations.

The ISC dhclient would probe multiple interfaces simultaneously.  The
new one waits for some amount o ftime on my hardwire ethernet (rarely
used) before probing my wireless.  The result is a longer startup.

Since the changes to the wireless code, the ISC dhclient would notice
a change in the state of the wireless (new ssid, for instance) and
quickly sync up.  The new dhclient sometimes does, but more often than
not requires that I "ifconfig ath0 ssid foo" ... which is annoying.
With the old ISC client, leaving the ssid blank was sufficient.

An extention of this is that randomly, after some long amount of time
online (often a day or two), ath0 seems to disassociate with the only
local access point in my home and reqire I ifconfig a bunch of times.
This may or may not be a dhclient thing --- but I tend to think it's
related ... if for no other reason than it started occuring at the
same time as the dhclient was checked in.

Are there plans to fix the gaping functionality holes in dhclient, or
can we get the isc client back?

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave_at_daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |