Re: GELI - disk encryption GEOM class committed.

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:33:24 +0200
On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 08:28:30AM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
+> Niki Denev wrote:
+> >Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
+> > > +> Booting from Encrypted Root:
+> >
+> >>+>   GELI - Works. How'd one load the kernel from an encrypted root
+> >>though?
+> >>
+> >>Kernel has to be loaded from a USB Pen-Drive or a CD-ROM.
+> >>You need to put /boot/ directory in there. GELI will ask for the
+> >>passphrase
+> >>before root file system is mounted. After that you can remove
+> >>Pen-Drive/CD-ROM.
+> >>
+> >
+> >Wouldn't it work if /boot is small separate unencrypted partition?
+> >( Well, there is the possibility that someone replaces your kernel
+> >with one with keylogger to catch your password next time you type it :))
+> >I use this method for bootable RAID1+0 with GEOM's stripe and mirror,
+> >and it seems to work great.
+>
+> Maybe you could write up a quick howto on your setup, and post it/submit
+> it to the doc_at_ team.

I'd prefer not to, as if you keep your kernel and modules decrypted, there
is no point to encrypt root file system.

pjd_at_FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org