6.0-BETA1: rpc.lockd broken for NFS server only configuration

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:00:20 -0700
Gang,

I upgraded to 6.0-BETA1 for my NFS server yesterday and rpc.lockd
stopped working as an immediate result of that. The error being
logged is:
	<timestamp> <host> rpc.lockd: nfslock: No such file or directory

Apparently the nfslock pseudo-device is only compiled into the kernel
when device nfsclient is present. This would indicate that I don't
need rpc.lockd running on the server. However, NFS clients hang when
they try to lock files across NFS:

bigsur% vi pmap.c
*hang*
*/me typing ^T after a couple of minutes*
load: 0.00  cmd: vi 457 [lockd] 0.01u 0.01s 0% 2976k

This tells me that NFS locking does not work if rpc.lockd is not
running on the server.

I could of course add nfsclient to my kernel configuration file, but
that annihilates the effort to split the server functionality from
the client functionality, so that's no solution.

In short: NFS locking is broken again

--
  Marcel Moolenaar         USPA: A-39004          marcel_at_xcllnt.net