Re: How to update my system

From: Benjamin Sobotta <mayday_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 15:35:43 +0200
On Wednesday 01 June 2005 15:18, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> i am very, very new on freebsd. I would like to now, with which
> possibilities i could update my freebsd 5.4 to the latest available
> updates?

> Thank you
> Roger

Hi!

I think the preferable way to get the latest updates would be cvsup. There are
sections in the handbook describing in detail on how to do it. Like

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/synching.html

and

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

The following link helps you to make your supfile, depending on what version
in FreeBSD you're running / want to upgrade to.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html

To get cvsup running in the first place check out

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html

As this might be confusing I suggest to proceed as follows:

1. Install cvsup
2. Create an appropriate supfile
3. run cvsup to all updates.
4. rebuild the stuff you upgraded the sources

Ben