Re: cannot alloc 19968 bytes for inoinfo

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 06:31:15 -0500
Don Lewis wrote:
> On  2 Jun, Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>>Don Lewis wrote:

>>>What does the shell limit command say about your datasize limit?  Your
>>>limit might have been cranked down in login.conf.
>>
>>I looked too early at the fsck. It appears to actually be going up to
>>the 1GB limit now, and then bombing. It's now bombing at a different point:
>>
>># fsck -y /vol1
>>** /dev/da0s1d
>>** Last Mounted on /vol1
>>** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
>>fsck_ufs: cannot increase directory list
>>

>># limits
>>Resource limits (current):
>>   cputime          infinity secs
>>   filesize         infinity kb
>>   datasize          1048576 kb
>>   stacksize           65536 kb
>>   coredumpsize     infinity kb
>>   memoryuse        infinity kb
>>   memorylocked     infinity kb
>>   maxprocesses         7390
>>   openfiles           14781
>>   sbsize           infinity bytes
>>   vmemoryuse       infinity kb
>>
>>So I think I just need more RAM.. This is really a major ceiling for
>>anyone that wants a somewhat large filesystem, or someone who needs a
>>lot of inodes.  Is there maybe a different way to do the fsck that might
>>take longer, but run in 'small' memory footprints like 1GB or less?  I
>>know little to nothing about coding fsck tools or memory management, but
>>I do know that there's always more ways to do something.  Just curious
>>if there could be a 'lowmem' option for fsck that would utilize memory
>>differently in order to fsck large fs's.
>

> You can crank up datasize to be larger than RAM assuming that you have
> sufficient swap configured.  It'll just be slow as fsck starts paging.
> At some point on 32-bit architectures like the i386 you'll run into the
> address space limit, probably at 2-3GB.
>
> I think julian_at_ has mentioned having a version of fsck that uses
> external storage.  I would expect a substantial speed impact, and you
> would need at least one other file system mounted rw.

Ahh!  Ok, I didn't realize it was even possible to make it larger than
the RAM size..  I ended up finding an extra gig of memory to put in the
box, and got the fsck done (it ended up needing about 1.6GB of memory).

Thanks for all the help/hints etc..

Eric

A lost ounce of gold may be found, a lost moment of time never.