Re: Can't get MAC addr of an ed(4) adapter

From: Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie_at_le-hen.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 17:54:00 +0200
Hi Bruce,

thanks for your quick reply.

> These cards are real mongrels. I had one about 7 years ago. Horrible.
> Highly recommend getting rid of it. PCI Realtek 10Mbps, yes? Know them,
> hate them.

That's what I heard too, but sometimes we do with what we have :-).

> I would try removing any device hints from the /boot/device.hints file
> which begin with 'hint.ed.0' as they are probably misleading, if the
> actual card is probed as ed1 (although I don't see this in the dmesg
> output here).

With this trick, ed1 is probed as ed0, even if the driver is a module.

> Try recompiling with 'makeoptions ED_DEBUG' in the kernel config file
> and see what it turns up.

As I stated in my first mail, I already tried this and this gave no
more diagnostic messages, unfortunately.

It seems that the ed(4) driver from 2005.01.01 are working well.
There have been numerous commits since then, but I'm trying to find
the culprit ATM.  I'll keep list abreast of the results.

Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen