Re: libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Undefined symbol "__stdoutp" referenced from COPY relocation in /bin/sh

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 13:12:15 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Marcin Jessa wrote:

> I forgot to mention I am upgrading from 5.4-RELEASE to 6.0 The world and
> kernel compiled fine but the new installed by make installworld binaries
> make the make installworld process to fail.

Oops... didn't follow the instructions in src/UPDATING, did you? :) You
need to install the new kernel and reboot before installing the binaries.

> As you can see in this case, install fails first.
> I can copy install from 5.4 and then make installworld starts to complain about other binaries.
> When I copy over the entire /bin and /sbin from 5.4 I can use the userland applications again just fine (they give the same errors when I try to run the freshly installed ones).
> I also tried to copy over binaries from a snapshot CD (ISO downloaded from ftp2.jp.freebsd.org) but I still get the same error with those...
> I am stucked having no idea what may be wrong here...

Your best bet is to reinstall 5.4-R over the broken system. This should
get enough working again to reattempt the upgrade.  Just mount the
filesystems in sysinstall and don't newfs them.