Installing 6.0 from June snapshots

From: Alexandre \ <Alex.Kovalenko_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 21:26:13 -0400
I have decided to be brave and reinstall my machine from scratch using
ISO images from June 2. Machine in question is AVERATEC 3150H laptop
which was running FreeBSD since 5.2.1, so I did not expect too many
problems. So far, I have encountered few, though:

-- sysinstall complained about missing packages/INDEX file ("Unable to
get packages/INDEX file from selected media") and consequently failed to
install X.Org components and Linux ABI compatibility. As far as I can
judge from number of times I had to press OK button, it went through X
components twice. At the end, it reported that it was not able to
install X.Org and Xserv in the separate message box.
-- it offered to configure existing network interface (vr) and bring it
up but failed to do so with the message box stating "Unable to configure
the vr0 interface! This installation method could not be used". After
reboot, interface was brought up and properly configured.
-- it was not able to configure and start mouse daemon. I have touchpad
device on this machine, so maybe  setting some flags would have cured,
it -- I have not experimented with it much.

At this point I have working system (no X, no Linux emulation).

If there is any additional information I can provide, I will be happy
to.

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)