Re: Accessing SCSI-Devices >2TB

From: Rainer Duffner <rainer_at_ultra-secure.de>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:32:52 +0200
Xin LI wrote:

>Err...  You don't need to play with the drivers/CAM stuff, why not try the
>natively supported gpt(8), which works great.
>
>	- Map the RAID device to a single SCSI device
>	- Do a dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=16384 count=16 to wipe the MBR
>	- Do a `gpt create /dev/da0' to create your GPT partition table
>	- Do a `gpt add /dev/da0' to create a GPT partition over it
>	- You will now see something like /dev/da0p1, which can be used for
>	  subsequent disklabel(8), or just newfs -U /dev/da0p1
>
>Cheers,

I copied this message to my "useful stuff" folder.

What's the status of this page:
http://www.freebsd.org/projects/bigdisk/

Is it still updated? Is the information on this page still correct?
It's not linked from the main projects-page, AFAICS.

 From this thread, I assume it's now possible to have >1 (or 2 or 4) GB
partitions, just that sysinstall would have to be taught about gpt.
If I have a 4TB array (e.g. on a NetApp) - can I mount that via NFS, or
is there a problem?
Or what about exporting an array of that size via NFS from a
FreeBSD-host - does that work?

cheers,
Rainer